We totally need music for this site, don't you think? Yes? Okay, I have a plan.
In order to implement this plan, I could use some help. I want to make a themed playlist each month, starting with World Music in January.
What's your favorite musical artist, song, or songwriter that fits into any of these categories?
1) World Music?
2) African American?
3) African-descent and not American?
3) Asian or of Asian descent?
4) Latino/a or of Hispanic descent?
5) Native American?
6) Other category reflecting diversity?
Multiple answers in any category are encouraged, I'll be trying to find the songs on Playlist.com and some things can be hard to find. Creating your own subcategories is encouraged, also--African American covers jazz and motown and hiphop and all kinds of stuff, Asian covers an entire continent, "world" covers an entire, like, world. So depending on how many suggestions I get, I'll break it down more. If I get zero suggestions, you'll be at the mercy of me and my hiphop-loving kids.
Tuesday, December 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Neat idea!
A few suggestions from my music collection:
"Nour El Ain" by Amr Diab is a classic song in Arabic. Diab is from Egypt.
Another classic song is "Youm Wara Youm" by Samira Said and Cheb Mami. Said is from Morocco and Mami, I believe, is from Algeria.
In terms of Bollywood, my favorite composer/musical director is A.R. Rahman. I like:
"Jashn e Bahaara" from the movie Jodhaa Akbar
"Inn Lamhon ke Daaman" from the same movie
"Taal Se Taal Mila" from the movie Taal
"Kahin Aag Lage" from the same movie
"Dil Ha Chhota Sa Chhoti Si Asha" from the movie Roja
In terms of Indian Diaspora music,
"Noorie" - Bally Sagoo/Jan Nisar Akhtar comes to mind (there are others, let me think about this a couple more days).
And a favorite band - hip-hop/rap related is Outlandish. There are three members, all raised in Denmark but their parents/families have different backgrounds. They sing in English usually, but also Arabic, Urdu, Spanish, and Danish. (Lenny's family is from Puerto Rico, Waqas' family is from Pakistan, and Isam's family is from Morocco). Favorite songs include "Aicha", "Pacific to Pacific", "Kom Igen", "Reggada", "Kun Min", and "Nothing Left to Do".
Also, band I recently discovered is Niyaz. The singer was born in Iran but raised in India. The lyrics are drawn from Sufi and Urdu poetry. There are two other musicians in the group - one is also Persian, the other is American. Favorite songs are "Beni Beni", "Feraghi-Song of Exile", and "Iman".
I would also suggest checking out the iTunes Essentials lists available on iTunes. They've got some for world music (if you type in world music to the search engine on iTunes, it should come up). This is how I discovered "Lancaster Gate" by Enter the Haggis (bagpipe rock!).
This is totally my kind of thing, friend! Here are some thoughts:
1) World Music?
The score from the musical Bombay Dreams
2) African American?
Meshell Ndegeocello
3) African-descent and not American?
Miriam Makeba
3) Asian or of Asian descent?
12 Girls Band (China), Malkit Singh (Punjabi Banghra)
4) Latino/a or of Hispanic descent?
Julieta Venegas (Mex. pop and folk), Cafe Tacuba (Mex. rock), Ximena Sarinana (Arg. alternative), Juanes (Col. pop, dance, cumbia), Chambao (Spain, alternative), Belanova (Mex. pop), Jarabe de Palo (Spain, altern.), Spanish Harlem Orchestra (salsa), Luis Miguel (Mex., ballads, boleros), Luis Fonsi (Puerto Rico, pop and ballads), Black Guayaba (Rock Latino), Buena Vista Social Club (Cuba and others)
5) Native American?
Israel Kamakawiwo'ole (Hawaiian)
6) Other category reflecting diversity?
I have so many more... let me know when you need 'em. This is great!
M, you are an absolute treasure. Thank you! We'll see which of those I can find on Playlist. I have found a couple that we like also (Panjabi MC, Sean Paul).
My boys have a running joke about haggis with a friend of theirs, so when I told them there was a band called Enter the Haggis, they were delighted. My 8 year old also likes the bagpipes a lot, so we just enjoyed listening to Lancaster Gate.
Anyone else?
Cassy, Awesome list, thank you! By the way, I listened to most of the playlist on your blog the other night. That was what gave me the idea of asking others for help compiling one for this blog. :-)
One of my favorite bands, Ozomatli, is Latin hip-hop. Not sure if that's what you're going for, but I enjoy them. And Pizzicato Five are a great little J-pop band. I learned lots of random Japanese from their songs. :)
Perfect, Jessi. Thanks!
Post a Comment