For Paul Robeson, by Eloise Greenfield, the winners are:Mary Ann of Great Kid Books, for her review of After Tupac and D Foster by Jacqueline Woodson. Mary Ann says, "the author brought me into feeling like a 12 year old girl struggling to understand herself, made me remember what it felt like to try to understand myself, my friends, my Big Purpose."
Tea, of Living Life and Reading Books, for her review of My Jim, by Nancy Rawles--a novel written from the perspective of Sadie, the wife of Jim from Mark Twain's The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.
Black-eyed Susan, for her review of From The Notebooks of Melanin Sun, by Jacqueline Woodson. Susan says, "One of the things I love about Woodson's work is that while her main characters are usually African American, race informs but is often not the central theme of the book. In Woodson's work, we see whole and functioning families and we see diversity in families."
Jen from Multigenre fan for Mojo: Conjure Stories, "a collection of 19 stories by various authors that explore the perils of personal magic, by authors of fantasy and African Diaspora fiction."
Doret, for her preview of Our Children Can Soar, a picture book featuring illustrations by 13 respected artists and focusing on the achievements of African Americans.
The winners of Sacred Mountain: Everest by Christine Taylor-Butler are:Jen, a lucky double-winner for her review of Mojo: Conjure Stories.
Mrs. V for her review of Haters by Alisa Valdes-Rodriguez: "Pascuala (Paski) is in for a shock when her dad announces that they will be relocating to Los Angeles from their rural New Mexican home so that he can pursue his animation career." Mrs. V recommends this book for older teens.
Another double-winner! Mary Ann, of Great Kid Books won this one too.
Black-eyed Susan also won a second time, but her lucky number this time was 18, for her Sunday Salon post featuring Jacqueline Woodson's Feathers and Carleen Brice's Orange Mint and Honey.
Riot of Burning Leaves for her review of Yukio Mishima’s The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea. Riot says, "Mishima was a consummate writer, and The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea is both a fine example of and introduction to his works.
Congratulations to the winners, and to all of you who have been keeping up with your diverse reading and review-posting!
Newcomers are welcome to join in at any time. Post one review, or commit to a specific number or type of books. Why not start by making your next read by an author of color?
May Reviews:
17 comments:
YAY! There is nothing like winning a book. Thank you very much, Ali.
Double, double yah!! Thanks so much, Ali. I really appreciate it! I'll be sure to review these as soon as I can! Mary Ann
Uh, where do we send you our snail address? Thanks again.
Congratulations to the winner!
Susan and Tea (and Riot), Email me at Worducopia at gmail dot com.
Oh, have I won a book? I can't believe it. I'll email you now. Thank you!
Is this where I post my review to be entered in the Asian Heritage month giveaway?
Yes, Jessica.marie, consider yourself entered. Thanks for the review link!
Oops, I just noticed I had left a link to nothing because this is before I understood the whole Mr. Linky thing. Sorry!!! :--)
No problem, go ahead and add a new link so people can find your review, and I'll delete the old one for you. :-)
Hi Ali, I added a new link with an authentic Diversity Rocks entry, so you can delete the previous one that was just a "test" (euphemism for stooopid)
Hi, should there be an area to enter links to reviews on this post? Or do we add a comment with the link?
JenR, go ahead and add the link to the comments here. Mr. Linky is on hiatus for now, unfortunately.
Here's my may review:
Ragamuffin by Tobias Buckell
Hi Ali,
I also want to thank you for mailing my gift set of books out. Thank you so much.
You're very welcome, Tea, thank you for adding your voice to the Diversity Rocks challenge!
I'm lost on creating a link! Sorry! My review for "Fly Girl" by Sherri L. Smith
http://campbele.wordpress.com/2009/05/04/book-review-flygirl-by-sherri-l-smith/
Post a Comment