
Post links to your August reviews here!
The giveaway for August will be The Lost Dog, by Michelle de Kretser, who was born in Sri Lanka and emigrated to Australia when she was fourteen. This, her third novel, is about an Indian-Australian professor who's lost his dog in the Bush. This giveaway is sponsored by Hachette Book Group and is open to U.S. and Canadian street addresses (no P.O. Boxes) only.
And now, the winners of the July giveaway! I started reading Thug Lovin' a couple of days ago and I'm impressed with Clark's mastery of dialogue and voice. She's really got these characters down. I'm not in love with the premise or the genre, but for what it is, it's definitely got merit, and so far the story is more middle-class housewife-friendly than I expected--it's really about a young couple starting a family, while the pressures of his past gang/drug world threaten to ruin their plans. (Also: nothing above a PG rating happens in the first 50 pages, nor does it look like it's heading in that direction.)
I have copies of the two Clark books for:
Susan of Color Online, for her post about 3 works of historical fiction.
Doret of The Happy Nappy Bookseller, for her review of Return to Sender by Julia Alvarez.
Jen (multigenre fan) for her review of The Shadow Speaker by Nnedi Okorafor
Terry for her review of Seven Miles to Freedom: The Robert Smalls Story
That leaves one more set of books up for grabs, so if you've ever posted a review here or participated in the Diversity Roll Call and you'd like to win these, send me an email at worducopia/at/gmail/com and I'll pick a fifth winner! Also please email me your addresses, Terry, Jen, Doret, and Susan, so I can get the books out to you.
August Reviews:
8 comments:
YAY! Very cool.
Thank you for providing the prizes. I'm alreading doing the reading. Getting prize for a review goes a long way in getting more to read and share. I regift a lot of my books. Books should be shared.
S
Yay! This makes working on Sunday a treat. Thanks Ali. I'll second Susan's thoughts about getting new books to expand the reading opportunities.
I interviewed Thomas Gonzalez, illustrator of 14 Cows for America.
Congratulations! Your blog has been nominated for a 2009 BBAW Award. However, I could not find your email address on your site. If you could email me your email address along with the name of your blog, I'll send you a note about it!
Thanks.
Sheri
BBAW Awards Committee
anovelmenagerie@aol.com
Ali so happy you're still going strong!
Thanks,Carleen!
Ali - Did the books ever go out?
I'll check on them, Terry.
Post a Comment