Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Preparing for Black History Month

In honor of Black History Month there's a drawing on White Readers Meet Black Authors for a free children's or YA book or ARC. There are so many great books and authors on the list, I had a hard time picking just one to ask for. Head on over and check it out!

They're also requesting that we observe Black History Month by putting our money where our mouths are: buying a children's or YA book by a black author. There's an extensive list of black children's authors on The Happy Nappy Bookseller, as well as the ones I've posted here.

I'll be changing the music on our challenge playlist this weekend for February, and I want to honor black history month. What song or musician do you think is a must?

5 comments:

Doret said...

Thanks so much for the link.

A Nina Simone song
A Change is Going to Come by Otis Redding.
Love Train by The OJays
Nothing Yet by Tracy Chapman - (This a great line in that song "from 40 arces to a 40 ounce")
Doo Wop by Lauryn Hill

Cassy said...

"Beautiful" by Me'shell Ndegeocello
"I Know" by Dionne Farris
"I Feel for You" by Chaka Khan
"The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" by Roberta Flack

Miriam Makeba
Billie Holiday

Terry Doherty said...

The links are great, thanks.

Wonderful World - Louis Armstrong
Lucille - Little Richard
Anything by Billie Holiday
First Time Ever I Saw Your Face - Roberta Flack
anything by Ella Fitzgerald

susan said...

Ah, Doret,

I'm currently reading I Put A Spell On You by Nina Simone.

Lauryn Hill
Cassandra Wilson
Dionne Farris
Dianne Reeves

susan said...

Saw Me'shell Ndegeocello in concert. She rocks!