Wednesday, July 15, 2009

July News

I do have a giveaway for you guys this month! Two, actually, but I only take credit for the first. Hachette is offering up 5 sets of two books by Wahida Clark, Thug Lovin' and Pay Back With Ya Life. Have any of you read her before? I plan to read them and believe me, street fiction will be truly stretching my reading in a direction I've never thought to go. I'm looking forward to it. Wahida will also be doing a guest post on my blog, Worducopia, in mid-August.

The second giveaway is over on Color Online. Susan is holding an amazing Summer Madness multi-book giveaway between now and the end of July. She's giving away some great books by authors of color, in fact I think all but two of them were already on my TBR list! I'll be entering for sure and I encourage you all to do the same.

Not a giveaway, but here's a book to look for if you like thrillers with a touch of the paranormal: A Circle of Souls by Indian-American author Preetham Grandhi. I'm intrigued by the fact that the author is a child psychiatrist--and the book has gotten fabulous reviews so far on the blogs.

5 comments:

Doret said...

A Circle of Souls like very good.
I haven't read any of Clark's books. Look forward hearing what you think.

I wouldn't have such a problem with Street fiction if there was more balance when it comes to what is being published with regards to Black writers. I know street fiction sells, but there are so many stories to tell. This limited approach with regrads to what gets published doesn't happen to any other race. A few years ago when chick lit was so big, it didn't over take everything else. Other stories still got told. This year gives me hope, there seems to be of a resurgence of Black writers telling various stories.

Ali said...

Well put, Doret, I hadn't thought about it that way but you're so right.

Color Online said...

Love your giveaways, Ali. And not to brag but there are amazing books in Color Online's giveaway and it's super easy to win. We aren't so big yet that we get a gazillion entries. Readers really should throw the name in this one.

Doret said...

Ali you should check out this Elle inteview my co worker told me about.

Bliss Broyard author of the NF title One Drop, inteviews Miasha a bestselling urban lit author. Her books do very well at the store I work at.

You tired to teach me to make it clickable but it didn't catch. Can you do it for me?

http://www.elle.com/Entertainment/Books/Pulp-Princess

And I couldn't resist sharing this

Sessalee Hensley, a fiction buyer for Barnes & Noble who’s often called the most powerful woman in publishing,says that urban lit now dominates the African-American scene: “We have 25 or so new urban titles a month, versus about one of the literary titles.”

25 to 1 WTF, and they don't have a problem with that. Really. I know its about making money but damn. Maybe if publishers actually made an effort to promote Black authors the books would sell more. Street fiction is an easy money train for publishers. If they actually had to work to sell it, it wouldn't get published. But lucky for them urban lit authors know how to sell themselves (many were self published authors) and its very word of mouth. And I really don't think publishers pay editors. (one less expense)

Ali said...

Wow. Fascinating article, thanks for the link. Here's your clickable one (it took a while for the technique to stick when I first learned it too) Pulp Princess

This floors me: “For years, publishers said that black people didn’t read,” says Calvin Reid, who oversees African-American coverage for Publishers Weekly. That changed in 1992, when three black women—Alice Walker, Toni Morrison, and Terry McMillan—landed on the Times best-seller list. Am I interpreting this right? Publishers claimed that black people didn't read? Until 1992????